Has 'Call Me Maybe' kicked off a new phase in pop music?
It's timelessness, not timeliness, that defines Carly Rae Jepsen's hit song. Jody Rosen at Slate analyzes why the earworm has become a hit
Selena Gomez (center) and buddies, including boyfriend Justin Beiber (not pictured), jump on the "Call Me Maybe" bandwagon with their own lip-synch video.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week