Has 'Call Me Maybe' kicked off a new phase in pop music?
It's timelessness, not timeliness, that defines Carly Rae Jepsen's hit song. Jody Rosen at Slate analyzes why the earworm has become a hit
Selena Gomez (center) and buddies, including boyfriend Justin Beiber (not pictured), jump on the "Call Me Maybe" bandwagon with their own lip-synch video.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week