Has 'Call Me Maybe' kicked off a new phase in pop music?
It's timelessness, not timeliness, that defines Carly Rae Jepsen's hit song. Jody Rosen at Slate analyzes why the earworm has become a hit
Selena Gomez (center) and buddies, including boyfriend Justin Beiber (not pictured), jump on the "Call Me Maybe" bandwagon with their own lip-synch video.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week