Has 'Call Me Maybe' kicked off a new phase in pop music?
It's timelessness, not timeliness, that defines Carly Rae Jepsen's hit song. Jody Rosen at Slate analyzes why the earworm has become a hit
Selena Gomez (center) and buddies, including boyfriend Justin Beiber (not pictured), jump on the "Call Me Maybe" bandwagon with their own lip-synch video.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Paul Krugman, Amazon, and the left's backwards view of book-industry titans
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week