anford, Fla., Police Chief Bill Lee was fired Wednesday, as the suburban Orlando town tries to move past the high-profile shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in February. Lee had been on temporary leave since March, when the Sanford police department's decision to not arrest Martin's alleged shooter, George Zimmerman, became a national controversy. "In light of the escalating divisiveness that has taken hold of the city," said City Manager Norton Bonaparte, it's become clear "we need to move forward with a police chief that all the citizens of Sanford can support."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 10 things you need to know today: March 11, 2014
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week