anford, Fla., Police Chief Bill Lee was fired Wednesday, as the suburban Orlando town tries to move past the high-profile shooting death of unarmed black teenager Trayvon Martin in February. Lee had been on temporary leave since March, when the Sanford police department's decision to not arrest Martin's alleged shooter, George Zimmerman, became a national controversy. "In light of the escalating divisiveness that has taken hold of the city," said City Manager Norton Bonaparte, it's become clear "we need to move forward with a police chief that all the citizens of Sanford can support."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week