A small contingent of CIA operatives is helping steer arms to Syrian opposition forces fighting President Bashar al-Assad's regime, U.S. officials and Arab intelligence sources tell The New York Times. The automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, anti-tank weapons, and ammunition are reportedly being provided by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Qatar, then smuggled across the Turkey-Syria border. The CIA officers are helping decide which groups get the weapons, and which — such as al Qaeda affiliates and other terrorist groups — do not.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- Do you need to be crazy to be the best?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week