A small contingent of CIA operatives is helping steer arms to Syrian opposition forces fighting President Bashar al-Assad's regime, U.S. officials and Arab intelligence sources tell The New York Times. The automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, anti-tank weapons, and ammunition are reportedly being provided by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Qatar, then smuggled across the Turkey-Syria border. The CIA officers are helping decide which groups get the weapons, and which — such as al Qaeda affiliates and other terrorist groups — do not.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- A brief history of the Guy Fawkes mask
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
Subscribe to the Week