small contingent of CIA operatives is helping steer arms to Syrian opposition forces fighting President Bashar al-Assad's regime, U.S. officials and Arab intelligence sources tell The New York Times. The automatic rifles, rocket-propelled grenades, anti-tank weapons, and ammunition are reportedly being provided by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Qatar, then smuggled across the Turkey-Syria border. The CIA officers are helping decide which groups get the weapons, and which — such as al Qaeda affiliates and other terrorist groups — do not.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week