GOOD DAY FOR:
Virtual good deeds
After a video of an elderly bus monitor being bullied goes viral, a do-gooder sets up a fundraising campaign that has already raised more than $33,000 for her retirement funds. [Death & Taxes]
A new summer earworm
Pop music phenom Carly Rae Jepsen releases a new single that's just as catchy as "Call Me Maybe." [The Daily Dot]
The healing power of puppies
A new study finds that microbes found on dogs can help prevent childhood asthma. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
A New York librarian gets busted for allegedly skimming $163,582 in late fees over a seven-year period. [Discovery News]
Beating the heat
Several ice cream trucks in the Northeast grapple with a shortage of chilly treats, thanks to early summer heat and the shutdown of a Good Humor plant. [Consumerist]
In Ann Curry's first Today show since The New York Times reported that NBC wants to replace her, producers accidentally put a lower third below her face with the headline, "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow." [HyperVocal]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 20, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- When Khomeini said no to Iranian nukes
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: October 23, 2014
Subscribe to the Week