OOD DAY FOR:
Virtual good deeds
After a video of an elderly bus monitor being bullied goes viral, a do-gooder sets up a fundraising campaign that has already raised more than $33,000 for her retirement funds. [Death & Taxes]
A new summer earworm
Pop music phenom Carly Rae Jepsen releases a new single that's just as catchy as "Call Me Maybe." [The Daily Dot]
The healing power of puppies
A new study finds that microbes found on dogs can help prevent childhood asthma. [TIME]
BAD DAY FOR:
A New York librarian gets busted for allegedly skimming $163,582 in late fees over a seven-year period. [Discovery News]
Beating the heat
Several ice cream trucks in the Northeast grapple with a shortage of chilly treats, thanks to early summer heat and the shutdown of a Good Humor plant. [Consumerist]
In Ann Curry's first Today show since The New York Times reported that NBC wants to replace her, producers accidentally put a lower third below her face with the headline, "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow." [HyperVocal]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 20, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The worrying rise of the anti-vaccination movement
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week