fghan security forces ended an 11-hour Taliban siege of an exclusive resort on a lake just north of Kabul on Friday. Heavily armed militants stormed Spozhmai Hotel on Thursday just before midnight, killing three security guards and taking scores of hotel guests hostage. Seven militants were killed in the standoff, as were at least 15 civilians and one police officer, bringing the total death toll to at least 26. The Taliban said they targeted the Spozhmai because it is used for "immoral and unethical purposes" like drinking alcohol.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The last racial taboo
- 7 health benefits of playing video games
- The secrets of happy families
Subscribe to the Week