Afghan security forces ended an 11-hour Taliban siege of an exclusive resort on a lake just north of Kabul on Friday. Heavily armed militants stormed Spozhmai Hotel on Thursday just before midnight, killing three security guards and taking scores of hotel guests hostage. Seven militants were killed in the standoff, as were at least 15 civilians and one police officer, bringing the total death toll to at least 26. The Taliban said they targeted the Spozhmai because it is used for "immoral and unethical purposes" like drinking alcohol.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Your 2-year-old doesn't need to go to school
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
- Will the Higgs Boson destroy the universe in a cosmic death bubble?
Subscribe to the Week