fghan security forces ended an 11-hour Taliban siege of an exclusive resort on a lake just north of Kabul on Friday. Heavily armed militants stormed Spozhmai Hotel on Thursday just before midnight, killing three security guards and taking scores of hotel guests hostage. Seven militants were killed in the standoff, as were at least 15 civilians and one police officer, bringing the total death toll to at least 26. The Taliban said they targeted the Spozhmai because it is used for "immoral and unethical purposes" like drinking alcohol.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Captain America won over China
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week