fghan security forces ended an 11-hour Taliban siege of an exclusive resort on a lake just north of Kabul on Friday. Heavily armed militants stormed Spozhmai Hotel on Thursday just before midnight, killing three security guards and taking scores of hotel guests hostage. Seven militants were killed in the standoff, as were at least 15 civilians and one police officer, bringing the total death toll to at least 26. The Taliban said they targeted the Spozhmai because it is used for "immoral and unethical purposes" like drinking alcohol.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week