fghan security forces ended an 11-hour Taliban siege of an exclusive resort on a lake just north of Kabul on Friday. Heavily armed militants stormed Spozhmai Hotel on Thursday just before midnight, killing three security guards and taking scores of hotel guests hostage. Seven militants were killed in the standoff, as were at least 15 civilians and one police officer, bringing the total death toll to at least 26. The Taliban said they targeted the Spozhmai because it is used for "immoral and unethical purposes" like drinking alcohol.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week