Surgeons at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital saved the life of an unborn baby by performing a surgery on her while she was still in the womb. After a potentially fatal tumor coming out of the fetus' mouth was detected with an ultrasound, doctors made a small incision in the mother's stomach and then used a laser beam to cut out the tumor in a first-of-its kind operation. The surgery took place in 2010, but the hospital has just gone public with the news. The stricken fetus is now a healthy 20-month-old girl.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- How to make any veggie burger without a recipe
Subscribe to the Week