urgeons at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital saved the life of an unborn baby by performing a surgery on her while she was still in the womb. After a potentially fatal tumor coming out of the fetus' mouth was detected with an ultrasound, doctors made a small incision in the mother's stomach and then used a laser beam to cut out the tumor in a first-of-its kind operation. The surgery took place in 2010, but the hospital has just gone public with the news. The stricken fetus is now a healthy 20-month-old girl.
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- Is it possible to live forever?
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2: Watch the overstuffed first trailer
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: A tribute in photos and prose
Subscribe to the Week