Syrian troops killed at least 10 protesters when they opened fire with heavy machine guns in the commercial hub of Aleppo on Friday. Thousands of demonstrators denouncing President Bashar al-Assad were marching toward the city's central Saadallah al-Jabiri Square when four armored vehicles opened fire, activists told Reuters.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- The week's best photojournalism
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week