peaking at Florida's Walt Disney World resort on Friday, President Obama vowed to Latino leaders that he would renew the battle for immigration reform. A congressional stalemate on immigration, Obama argued, has resulted in a "patchwork of state laws that cause more problems than they solve and are often doing more harm than good." The Hispanic vote represents a critical election-year demographic for the president, as Latinos backed him by a 2-to-1 margin in 2008.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week