urkey's prime minister says the air force jet that disappeared over the Mediterranean Sea earlier Friday was shot down by Syria, and that the two Turkish pilots that were manning the warplane remain missing. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Turkey "will determinedly take necessary steps" in response, though he didn't outline what they would be. Relations between Turkey and neighboring Syria have grown increasingly strained, with Turkey backing the U.S. and other countries in saying that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad should leave his postition because of the pro-democracy uprisings in his country.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week