Turkey's state-run news agency says 33 Syrian soldiers, including a general and two colonels, and their families, defected to Turkey overnight. There were reportedly 224 people in all in the group. The news comes just days after Syria shot down a Turkish military jet and after a Syrian pilot defected to Jordan in his fighter jet; Turkey has called a NATO meeting for Tuesday to determine the appropriate response to Syria's shooting down of its jet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Tony Blair: The Cassandra of the Middle East
- Why America should team up with Bashar al-Assad's regime
Subscribe to the Week