Turkey's state-run news agency says 33 Syrian soldiers, including a general and two colonels, and their families, defected to Turkey overnight. There were reportedly 224 people in all in the group. The news comes just days after Syria shot down a Turkish military jet and after a Syrian pilot defected to Jordan in his fighter jet; Turkey has called a NATO meeting for Tuesday to determine the appropriate response to Syria's shooting down of its jet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- On torture, the CIA says to trust the CIA
Subscribe to the Week