Turkey's state-run news agency says 33 Syrian soldiers, including a general and two colonels, and their families, defected to Turkey overnight. There were reportedly 224 people in all in the group. The news comes just days after Syria shot down a Turkish military jet and after a Syrian pilot defected to Jordan in his fighter jet; Turkey has called a NATO meeting for Tuesday to determine the appropriate response to Syria's shooting down of its jet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
Subscribe to the Week