GOOD DAY FOR:
Leaving work early
A new analysis finds that the most dangerous time for driving is between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., due to rush hour traffic. [Discovery News]
A productively obsessive-compulsive YouTuber re-creates Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night with 7,000 dominoes. [The Daily What]
Two Ohio great-grandmothers parachute from a plane to raise money for a veterans' food pantry. [The Stir]
BAD DAY FOR:
Giant Galapagos tortoise "Lonesome George," the last tortoise of his kind and a conservation symbol, dies. He was believed to be about 100 years old. [Death & Taxes]
Garish gas guzzlers
A study finds that red cars are statistically more likely to be hit with bird droppings. [Gawker]
Honoring the dead
On a class trip to the 9/11 Memorial, New York City junior high students hurl trash and other items into its reflecting pools. [Newser]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why we gossip, according to science
- 13 vegetarian dishes for Thanksgiving
Subscribe to the Week