GOOD DAY FOR:
Leaving work early
A new analysis finds that the most dangerous time for driving is between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., due to rush hour traffic. [Discovery News]
A productively obsessive-compulsive YouTuber re-creates Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night with 7,000 dominoes. [The Daily What]
Two Ohio great-grandmothers parachute from a plane to raise money for a veterans' food pantry. [The Stir]
BAD DAY FOR:
Giant Galapagos tortoise "Lonesome George," the last tortoise of his kind and a conservation symbol, dies. He was believed to be about 100 years old. [Death & Taxes]
Garish gas guzzlers
A study finds that red cars are statistically more likely to be hit with bird droppings. [Gawker]
Honoring the dead
On a class trip to the 9/11 Memorial, New York City junior high students hurl trash and other items into its reflecting pools. [Newser]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- This week I learned the surprisingly dark origins of the Nobel Prize, and more
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week