he London Olympics are the world's biggest showcase for athletes at the pinnacle of physical fitness and health. But this summer, the Olympics will also play host to the world's biggest hocker of hamburgers and fries. McDonald's just announced the exact scope of its temporary restaurant at the London Olympics — and it's a "1,500-hundred seat monstrosity," says The Daily Beast. Here's how the record-setting fast food establishment breaks down:
Square footage of the new McDonald's, the largest in the world, according to New York's Daily News
Floors the McDonald's will have
Diners the new McDonald's will seat, according to the Associated Press
Diners the McDonald's expects to serve each day
Diners it expects to serve over the entire games
Big Macs to be served
McDonald's locations at the Olympics. Besides the super-sized flagship, there's one normal restaurant, one eatery in Athletes Village, and another in the Media Center.
Hours the Athletes Village McDonald's will be open each day. "The one in Athletes Village is likely to be the busiest of all of them and athletes know more than most people what they should and shouldn't be eating," says Jill McDonald, chief executive of McDonald's U.K.
Staffers McDonald's will bring in to work at the four locations
Years McDonald's has been an official Olympics sponsor. Britain's Academy of Royal Medical Colleges recently complained that having the fast food giant as an Olympic sponsor sends the wrong message.
2,500 to 3,000
Calories a day that the average man should consume, according to the FDA
Calories in a Big Mac
Big Macs Phelps could theoretically consume each day of the Olympics under his reported eating regimen
Days the London Olympics will last, from the Opening Ceremony on July 27 to the Closing Ceremony on August 12
Big Macs Phelps could theoretically consume throughout the entire games
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- 10 things you need to know today: April 23, 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week