The London Olympics are the world's biggest showcase for athletes at the pinnacle of physical fitness and health. But this summer, the Olympics will also play host to the world's biggest hocker of hamburgers and fries. McDonald's just announced the exact scope of its temporary restaurant at the London Olympics — and it's a "1,500-hundred seat monstrosity," says The Daily Beast. Here's how the record-setting fast food establishment breaks down:
Square footage of the new McDonald's, the largest in the world, according to New York's Daily News
Floors the McDonald's will have
Diners the new McDonald's will seat, according to the Associated Press
Diners the McDonald's expects to serve each day
Diners it expects to serve over the entire games
Big Macs to be served
McDonald's locations at the Olympics. Besides the super-sized flagship, there's one normal restaurant, one eatery in Athletes Village, and another in the Media Center.
Hours the Athletes Village McDonald's will be open each day. "The one in Athletes Village is likely to be the busiest of all of them and athletes know more than most people what they should and shouldn't be eating," says Jill McDonald, chief executive of McDonald's U.K.
Staffers McDonald's will bring in to work at the four locations
Years McDonald's has been an official Olympics sponsor. Britain's Academy of Royal Medical Colleges recently complained that having the fast food giant as an Olympic sponsor sends the wrong message.
2,500 to 3,000
Calories a day that the average man should consume, according to the FDA
Calories in a Big Mac
Big Macs Phelps could theoretically consume each day of the Olympics under his reported eating regimen
Days the London Olympics will last, from the Opening Ceremony on July 27 to the Closing Ceremony on August 12
Big Macs Phelps could theoretically consume throughout the entire games
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week