Rebel forces and Syrian troops are in heated battles near the capital Damascus, witnesses report. The fighting is some of the most intense violence in the area since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began more than a year ago. Meanwhile on Tuesday, the head of the United Nations peacekeeping operation said that its monitoring mission in Syria would remain suspended. U.N. monitors pulled out of Syria two weeks ago due to escalating violence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week