Rebel forces and Syrian troops are in heated battles near the capital Damascus, witnesses report. The fighting is some of the most intense violence in the area since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began more than a year ago. Meanwhile on Tuesday, the head of the United Nations peacekeeping operation said that its monitoring mission in Syria would remain suspended. U.N. monitors pulled out of Syria two weeks ago due to escalating violence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- 13 countries where gay marriage is legal [Updated]
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week