Rebel forces and Syrian troops are in heated battles near the capital Damascus, witnesses report. The fighting is some of the most intense violence in the area since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began more than a year ago. Meanwhile on Tuesday, the head of the United Nations peacekeeping operation said that its monitoring mission in Syria would remain suspended. U.N. monitors pulled out of Syria two weeks ago due to escalating violence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- Face it, ladies: We can't all be beautiful
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
Subscribe to the Week