Rebel forces and Syrian troops are in heated battles near the capital Damascus, witnesses report. The fighting is some of the most intense violence in the area since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began more than a year ago. Meanwhile on Tuesday, the head of the United Nations peacekeeping operation said that its monitoring mission in Syria would remain suspended. U.N. monitors pulled out of Syria two weeks ago due to escalating violence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- California's epic drought
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
Subscribe to the Week