Rebel forces and Syrian troops are in heated battles near the capital Damascus, witnesses report. The fighting is some of the most intense violence in the area since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began more than a year ago. Meanwhile on Tuesday, the head of the United Nations peacekeeping operation said that its monitoring mission in Syria would remain suspended. U.N. monitors pulled out of Syria two weeks ago due to escalating violence.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week