he Avengers continues to smash box-office records. On Tuesday, it became only the third film to pass the $600 million mark domestically. Joss Whedon, who directed the ensemble superhero hit, is only the second director to accomplish the feat, joining James Cameron, who has two films in the $600 million club: Titanic and Avatar. Already, The Avengers is the fastest film to have reached the $200 million, $300 million, $400 million, and $500 million thresholds at the U.S. box office. The film's worldwide gross is $1.4 billion, and counting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The week's best photojournalism
- How the elderly are treated around the world
Subscribe to the Week