The Avengers continues to smash box-office records. On Tuesday, it became only the third film to pass the $600 million mark domestically. Joss Whedon, who directed the ensemble superhero hit, is only the second director to accomplish the feat, joining James Cameron, who has two films in the $600 million club: Titanic and Avatar. Already, The Avengers is the fastest film to have reached the $200 million, $300 million, $400 million, and $500 million thresholds at the U.S. box office. The film's worldwide gross is $1.4 billion, and counting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
Subscribe to the Week