The Avengers continues to smash box-office records. On Tuesday, it became only the third film to pass the $600 million mark domestically. Joss Whedon, who directed the ensemble superhero hit, is only the second director to accomplish the feat, joining James Cameron, who has two films in the $600 million club: Titanic and Avatar. Already, The Avengers is the fastest film to have reached the $200 million, $300 million, $400 million, and $500 million thresholds at the U.S. box office. The film's worldwide gross is $1.4 billion, and counting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Gamergate might be gaming sexism's Waterloo
Subscribe to the Week