he Avengers continues to smash box-office records. On Tuesday, it became only the third film to pass the $600 million mark domestically. Joss Whedon, who directed the ensemble superhero hit, is only the second director to accomplish the feat, joining James Cameron, who has two films in the $600 million club: Titanic and Avatar. Already, The Avengers is the fastest film to have reached the $200 million, $300 million, $400 million, and $500 million thresholds at the U.S. box office. The film's worldwide gross is $1.4 billion, and counting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week