The Avengers continues to smash box-office records. On Tuesday, it became only the third film to pass the $600 million mark domestically. Joss Whedon, who directed the ensemble superhero hit, is only the second director to accomplish the feat, joining James Cameron, who has two films in the $600 million club: Titanic and Avatar. Already, The Avengers is the fastest film to have reached the $200 million, $300 million, $400 million, and $500 million thresholds at the U.S. box office. The film's worldwide gross is $1.4 billion, and counting.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How I lost all my money
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week