ora Ephron, the prodigious screenwriter, filmmaker, and director best known for hits like When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle, has passed away at age 71 following a long bout with leukemia. Word of her deteriorating condition spread quickly over Twitter after her friend and celebrity columnist Liz Smith penned what appeared to be an obituary, which has since been taken down. Her condition was subsequently confirmed by her book publisher late Tuesday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week