ootball will join every other major college sport in determining the national champion through a playoff system, after a committee of university presidents signed off on the proposal. Starting in 2014, the much-maligned Bowl Championship Series (BCS) will be no more, replaced by a set of semifinals between the top four college teams and then a championship game on a Monday in early January. The finals will rotate between the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and two more yet to be determined.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Entrepreneurs: A dying breed?
Subscribe to the Week