ootball will join every other major college sport in determining the national champion through a playoff system, after a committee of university presidents signed off on the proposal. Starting in 2014, the much-maligned Bowl Championship Series (BCS) will be no more, replaced by a set of semifinals between the top four college teams and then a championship game on a Monday in early January. The finals will rotate between the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Sugar Bowl, and two more yet to be determined.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
Subscribe to the Week