wildfire near Colorado Springs grew suddenly worse Tuesday, and 32,000 people were forced to flee their homes. The Waldo Canyon Fire is near several state landmarks, including Pikes Peak and the Air Force Academy. It's just one of a number of ferocious fires burning in Colorado and is thought to have consumed more than 6,200 acres in the past few days. The High Park Fire near Fort Collins has consumed 87,250 acres since it started two weeks ago, making it the most destructive fire in state history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week