wildfire near Colorado Springs grew suddenly worse Tuesday, and 32,000 people were forced to flee their homes. The Waldo Canyon Fire is near several state landmarks, including Pikes Peak and the Air Force Academy. It's just one of a number of ferocious fires burning in Colorado and is thought to have consumed more than 6,200 acres in the past few days. The High Park Fire near Fort Collins has consumed 87,250 acres since it started two weeks ago, making it the most destructive fire in state history.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The end of academic freedom?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week