ccording to an Obama campaign official, the president is planning a two-day road trip through Ohio and Pennsylvania next week, to focus "more on direct engagement with voters and less on ritzy fundraisers." The bus tour, which kicks off July 5, will coincide with the release of the monthly jobs report, an important indicator of the country's economic outlook. The most recent report, for May, showed only a slight uptick in the unemployment rate, a troubling sign for Obama's re-election prospects.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week