ccording to an Obama campaign official, the president is planning a two-day road trip through Ohio and Pennsylvania next week, to focus "more on direct engagement with voters and less on ritzy fundraisers." The bus tour, which kicks off July 5, will coincide with the release of the monthly jobs report, an important indicator of the country's economic outlook. The most recent report, for May, showed only a slight uptick in the unemployment rate, a troubling sign for Obama's re-election prospects.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week