According to an Obama campaign official, the president is planning a two-day road trip through Ohio and Pennsylvania next week, to focus "more on direct engagement with voters and less on ritzy fundraisers." The bus tour, which kicks off July 5, will coincide with the release of the monthly jobs report, an important indicator of the country's economic outlook. The most recent report, for May, showed only a slight uptick in the unemployment rate, a troubling sign for Obama's re-election prospects.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- 10 things you need to know today: August 23, 2014
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- Today in history: Lincoln reveals the real goal of the Civil War
- Inside America's crumbling infrastructure
Subscribe to the Week