OOD DAY FOR:
A Croatian town grants honorary citizenship to Jay-Z and Beyonce's world-famous daughter, who is supposedly named after a blue-ivy-covered tree that the power couple spotted while vacationing there. [TIME]
The kindness of strangers
Did you hear about the New York City baby who was blown by a gust of wind onto the subway tracks? Turns out the baby's savior is an unemployed man who missed his job interview by taking time to be heroic. [New York]
The coming of the singularity
Japanese researchers create a robot that is undefeated at "Rock, Paper, Scissors." [HyperVocal]
BAD DAY FOR:
Warding off vampires
Cops in Austria nab Romanians who allegedly tried to leave the country with 9.5 tons of stolen garlic worth $37,500. [Newser]
A new study finds that women who are afraid to give birth are more likely to experience longer labors. [Jezebel]
Taking the plunge
An entire wedding party falls into a Michigan lake when the dock they are standing on during a photo session collapses. [The Daily What]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: June 26, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
Subscribe to the Week