urkish state media reported Thursday that anti-aircraft guns are being deployed along Turkey's 550-mile border with Syria, after a Turkish military jet was shot down last week. The news comes amid reports that Syrian rebels are growing more aggressive in and around Syria's capital of Damascus. On Thursday, the state news agency reported an explosion near the Palace of Justice, just one day after a reported attack on a pro-government TV station. United Nations peace envoy Kofi Annan has arranged an emergency meeting on Saturday in Switzerland to deal with the crisis in Syria. Diplomats from China, France, Russia, the U.K., and the U.S. will attend, and officials from the U.N, the Arab League, and the European Union were also invited.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How John Boehner learned to stop worrying and hate the Tea Party
- The Idina Menzel-Taye Diggs split, and 5 other break-ups that hurt us more than it hurt them
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Here's how crazy-long German words are made
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
Subscribe to the Week