urkish state media reported Thursday that anti-aircraft guns are being deployed along Turkey's 550-mile border with Syria, after a Turkish military jet was shot down last week. The news comes amid reports that Syrian rebels are growing more aggressive in and around Syria's capital of Damascus. On Thursday, the state news agency reported an explosion near the Palace of Justice, just one day after a reported attack on a pro-government TV station. United Nations peace envoy Kofi Annan has arranged an emergency meeting on Saturday in Switzerland to deal with the crisis in Syria. Diplomats from China, France, Russia, the U.K., and the U.S. will attend, and officials from the U.N, the Arab League, and the European Union were also invited.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week