urkish state media reported Thursday that anti-aircraft guns are being deployed along Turkey's 550-mile border with Syria, after a Turkish military jet was shot down last week. The news comes amid reports that Syrian rebels are growing more aggressive in and around Syria's capital of Damascus. On Thursday, the state news agency reported an explosion near the Palace of Justice, just one day after a reported attack on a pro-government TV station. United Nations peace envoy Kofi Annan has arranged an emergency meeting on Saturday in Switzerland to deal with the crisis in Syria. Diplomats from China, France, Russia, the U.K., and the U.S. will attend, and officials from the U.N, the Arab League, and the European Union were also invited.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- What Pope John Paul II could have learned from Sinead O'Connor
Subscribe to the Week