Peter Madoff, the younger brother of imprisoned Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff, was arrested in New York City on Friday. The younger Madoff, 66, is expected to plead guilty to securities fraud for his role in the scheme for which his brother is already serving 150 years in jail. Peter worked for Bernie Madoff Securities as chief compliance officer for nearly 40 years. He has agreed to forfeit $143.1 billion, an amount that is symbolic because it is not necessarily an amount he can pay, but rather the amount that can be traced to his fraud.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Rise of the machines
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
Subscribe to the Week