Peter Madoff, the younger brother of imprisoned Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff, was arrested in New York City on Friday. The younger Madoff, 66, is expected to plead guilty to securities fraud for his role in the scheme for which his brother is already serving 150 years in jail. Peter worked for Bernie Madoff Securities as chief compliance officer for nearly 40 years. He has agreed to forfeit $143.1 billion, an amount that is symbolic because it is not necessarily an amount he can pay, but rather the amount that can be traced to his fraud.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 6 things the most productive people do every day
Subscribe to the Week