After five years of marriage, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting a divorce. "This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family," Holmes' attorney said. "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interests." Cruise and Holmes' whirlwind romance began unexpectedly in 2005 when Cruise famously declared his love for the former Dawson's Creek star on The Oprah Winfrey Show, jumping maniacally on the Queen of Talk's couch. Engaged in June 2005, the two welcomed their daughter Suri on April 18, 2006, and married six months later in front of 150 guests at an Italian castle. This was Holmes' first marriage, and the third for Cruise, who was previously married to actresses Nicole Kidman, with whom he has two children, and Mimi Rogers.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
Subscribe to the Week