After five years of marriage, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are getting a divorce. "This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family," Holmes' attorney said. "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter's best interests." Cruise and Holmes' whirlwind romance began unexpectedly in 2005 when Cruise famously declared his love for the former Dawson's Creek star on The Oprah Winfrey Show, jumping maniacally on the Queen of Talk's couch. Engaged in June 2005, the two welcomed their daughter Suri on April 18, 2006, and married six months later in front of 150 guests at an Italian castle. This was Holmes' first marriage, and the third for Cruise, who was previously married to actresses Nicole Kidman, with whom he has two children, and Mimi Rogers.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- How science can help you survive scary movies
Subscribe to the Week