After years of speculation, CNN anchor and talk show host Anderson Cooper officially came out of the closet as gay in an email to The Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper writes. He says that he previously made the decision not to discuss his personal life because he felt it would prevent him from "safely and effectively" doing his job as a journalist, but the growing impression that he was "hiding something" and the rise of bullying of young people led him to believe "there is value in making clear where I stand."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week