fter years of speculation, CNN anchor and talk show host Anderson Cooper officially came out of the closet as gay in an email to The Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper writes. He says that he previously made the decision not to discuss his personal life because he felt it would prevent him from "safely and effectively" doing his job as a journalist, but the growing impression that he was "hiding something" and the rise of bullying of young people led him to believe "there is value in making clear where I stand."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
Subscribe to the Week