After years of speculation, CNN anchor and talk show host Anderson Cooper officially came out of the closet as gay in an email to The Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper writes. He says that he previously made the decision not to discuss his personal life because he felt it would prevent him from "safely and effectively" doing his job as a journalist, but the growing impression that he was "hiding something" and the rise of bullying of young people led him to believe "there is value in making clear where I stand."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- Why gay people of color are still losing
- The U.S. dollar has been strengthening for 3 straight years! (That's not good news.)
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
Subscribe to the Week