fter years of speculation, CNN anchor and talk show host Anderson Cooper officially came out of the closet as gay in an email to The Daily Beast columnist Andrew Sullivan. "The fact is, I'm gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn't be more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud," Cooper writes. He says that he previously made the decision not to discuss his personal life because he felt it would prevent him from "safely and effectively" doing his job as a journalist, but the growing impression that he was "hiding something" and the rise of bullying of young people led him to believe "there is value in making clear where I stand."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why cutting the government doesn't make it more efficient
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week