OOD DAY FOR:
Feats of derring-do
Two racecar drivers at the X Games successfully zip through a giant version of the popular Hot Wheels Double Dare Snare toy — essentially, an upside-down loop the size of a six-story building. [Geekosystem]
Cheesy July 4 stunts
In honor of Independence Day, a Wisconsin cheese artist begins carving a replica of Mount Rushmore (called My Country 'Tis of Cheese) out of a 640-pound block of cheddar. [Death & Taxes]
Baby-faced pop music sensation Justin Bieber graduates from high school. [The New York Times]
BAD DAY FOR:
The population of brown widow spiders explodes in southern California. [Los Angeles Times]
Keeping kids away from painkillers
The makers of addictive painkiller OxyContin aim to get FDA approval for a version of the drug that could be administered to children as young as 6 years old. [The Daily]
A new report finds that for the first time since the 1920s, U.S. cities are growing faster than the suburbs. [TIME]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why cutting the government doesn't make it more efficient
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week