GOOD DAY FOR:
Feats of derring-do
Two racecar drivers at the X Games successfully zip through a giant version of the popular Hot Wheels Double Dare Snare toy — essentially, an upside-down loop the size of a six-story building. [Geekosystem]
Cheesy July 4 stunts
In honor of Independence Day, a Wisconsin cheese artist begins carving a replica of Mount Rushmore (called My Country 'Tis of Cheese) out of a 640-pound block of cheddar. [Death & Taxes]
Baby-faced pop music sensation Justin Bieber graduates from high school. [The New York Times]
BAD DAY FOR:
The population of brown widow spiders explodes in southern California. [Los Angeles Times]
Keeping kids away from painkillers
The makers of addictive painkiller OxyContin aim to get FDA approval for a version of the drug that could be administered to children as young as 6 years old. [The Daily]
A new report finds that for the first time since the 1920s, U.S. cities are growing faster than the suburbs. [TIME]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week