Two men die fighting Western wildfires
Flames erupt atop a ridge near Horsetooth Reservoir near Laporte, Colo. The High Park Fire in Larimer County has burned almost 37,000 acres and damaged or destroyed more than 100 structures.
Marc Piscotty/Getty Images
Military officials and victims' families report that two men died Sunday when a U.S. Air Force plane fighting a fire near Edgemont, South Dakota, crashed Sunday night. Two other crew members were critically injured and remain in the hospital.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- 10 things you need to know today: July 25, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week