Two men die fighting Western wildfires
Flames erupt atop a ridge near Horsetooth Reservoir near Laporte, Colo. The High Park Fire in Larimer County has burned almost 37,000 acres and damaged or destroyed more than 100 structures.
Marc Piscotty/Getty Images
Military officials and victims' families report that two men died Sunday when a U.S. Air Force plane fighting a fire near Edgemont, South Dakota, crashed Sunday night. Two other crew members were critically injured and remain in the hospital.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- 8 secrets to steal from power networkers
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week