ndy Griffith, the beloved television icon best known for playing the single-dad sheriff in the '60s sitcom The Andy Griffith Show, died Tuesday at age 86. Friend and former University of Carolina president Bill Friday confirmed the news to North Carolina's WITN News. In addition to starring in the classic sitcom bearing his name, Griffith starred in the long-running legal drama Matlock and made a slew of guest appearances on TV shows like Diagnosis Murder and Dawson's Creek. He was also a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week