Andy Griffith, the beloved television icon best known for playing the single-dad sheriff in the '60s sitcom The Andy Griffith Show, died Tuesday at age 86. Friend and former University of Carolina president Bill Friday confirmed the news to North Carolina's WITN News. In addition to starring in the classic sitcom bearing his name, Griffith starred in the long-running legal drama Matlock and made a slew of guest appearances on TV shows like Diagnosis Murder and Dawson's Creek. He was also a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
Subscribe to the Week