ndy Griffith, the beloved television icon best known for playing the single-dad sheriff in the '60s sitcom The Andy Griffith Show, died Tuesday at age 86. Friend and former University of Carolina president Bill Friday confirmed the news to North Carolina's WITN News. In addition to starring in the classic sitcom bearing his name, Griffith starred in the long-running legal drama Matlock and made a slew of guest appearances on TV shows like Diagnosis Murder and Dawson's Creek. He was also a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Obama's next steps on immigration
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
Subscribe to the Week