ndy Griffith, the beloved television icon best known for playing the single-dad sheriff in the '60s sitcom The Andy Griffith Show, died Tuesday at age 86. Friend and former University of Carolina president Bill Friday confirmed the news to North Carolina's WITN News. In addition to starring in the classic sitcom bearing his name, Griffith starred in the long-running legal drama Matlock and made a slew of guest appearances on TV shows like Diagnosis Murder and Dawson's Creek. He was also a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Acxiom Corp: The 'faceless organization that knows everything about you'
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- The secrets of happy families
Subscribe to the Week