Andy Griffith, the beloved television icon best known for playing the single-dad sheriff in the '60s sitcom The Andy Griffith Show, died Tuesday at age 86. Friend and former University of Carolina president Bill Friday confirmed the news to North Carolina's WITN News. In addition to starring in the classic sitcom bearing his name, Griffith starred in the long-running legal drama Matlock and made a slew of guest appearances on TV shows like Diagnosis Murder and Dawson's Creek. He was also a Grammy award-winning southern gospel singer.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week