n unnamed French official told The Associated Press that the home and offices of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy were searched by investigators Tuesday, as part of a probe into suspected illegal financing of Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. The investigation centers on the finances of France's richest woman Lilliane Bettencourt, heiress to the Loreal cosmetics fortune, who allegedly provided illegal campaign cash to Sarkozy's party. Sarkozy, who failed to win re-election in May, denies the claims.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week