n unnamed French official told The Associated Press that the home and offices of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy were searched by investigators Tuesday, as part of a probe into suspected illegal financing of Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. The investigation centers on the finances of France's richest woman Lilliane Bettencourt, heiress to the Loreal cosmetics fortune, who allegedly provided illegal campaign cash to Sarkozy's party. Sarkozy, who failed to win re-election in May, denies the claims.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
Subscribe to the Week