An unnamed French official told The Associated Press that the home and offices of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy were searched by investigators Tuesday, as part of a probe into suspected illegal financing of Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. The investigation centers on the finances of France's richest woman Lilliane Bettencourt, heiress to the Loreal cosmetics fortune, who allegedly provided illegal campaign cash to Sarkozy's party. Sarkozy, who failed to win re-election in May, denies the claims.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
Paul Allen's 'bitter' Bill-Gates-bashing memoir
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week