An unnamed French official told The Associated Press that the home and offices of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy were searched by investigators Tuesday, as part of a probe into suspected illegal financing of Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. The investigation centers on the finances of France's richest woman Lilliane Bettencourt, heiress to the Loreal cosmetics fortune, who allegedly provided illegal campaign cash to Sarkozy's party. Sarkozy, who failed to win re-election in May, denies the claims.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week