An unnamed French official told The Associated Press that the home and offices of former French President Nicolas Sarkozy were searched by investigators Tuesday, as part of a probe into suspected illegal financing of Sarkozy's 2007 presidential campaign. The investigation centers on the finances of France's richest woman Lilliane Bettencourt, heiress to the Loreal cosmetics fortune, who allegedly provided illegal campaign cash to Sarkozy's party. Sarkozy, who failed to win re-election in May, denies the claims.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- How I lost all my money
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
Subscribe to the Week