Officials believe that target shooting and other gunfire are responsible for starting at least 30 wildfires in Idaho and Utah, as well as others in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. The public is being asked to limit recreational shooting or use special bullets as the West battles one of the worst wildfire seasons in history. Lawmakers have been hesitant to restrict gun use because of Second Amendment rights, but some legislators have found loopholes allowing states to act in an emergency.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week