Officials believe that target shooting and other gunfire are responsible for starting at least 30 wildfires in Idaho and Utah, as well as others in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. The public is being asked to limit recreational shooting or use special bullets as the West battles one of the worst wildfire seasons in history. Lawmakers have been hesitant to restrict gun use because of Second Amendment rights, but some legislators have found loopholes allowing states to act in an emergency.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- How did Rick Perry escape blame for the Texas Ebola outbreak?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week