Officials believe that target shooting and other gunfire are responsible for starting at least 30 wildfires in Idaho and Utah, as well as others in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. The public is being asked to limit recreational shooting or use special bullets as the West battles one of the worst wildfire seasons in history. Lawmakers have been hesitant to restrict gun use because of Second Amendment rights, but some legislators have found loopholes allowing states to act in an emergency.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week