The Amazing Spider-Man opened Tuesday, taking in $35 million at the box office on its first day, setting a new record for the biggest Tuesday opening. Sony's comic book reboot stars Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. Transformers, which opened to $27.8 million on July 3, 2007, previously held the record.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week