A Sanford, Fla., judge has ordered George Zimmerman released on $1 million bond while he awaits trial in the Trayvon Martin killing. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who says he shot the unarmed black teenager in self-defense, was granted $150,000 bail in April when he claimed he was nearly broke, but had to return to jail because he failed to disclose money supporters had contributed to his legal defense fund. According to Zimmerman's lawyer, the fund currently has $211,000 in it, more than enough to cover the 10-percent portion that most bond companies charge.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week