Sanford, Fla., judge has ordered George Zimmerman released on $1 million bond while he awaits trial in the Trayvon Martin killing. Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer who says he shot the unarmed black teenager in self-defense, was granted $150,000 bail in April when he claimed he was nearly broke, but had to return to jail because he failed to disclose money supporters had contributed to his legal defense fund. According to Zimmerman's lawyer, the fund currently has $211,000 in it, more than enough to cover the 10-percent portion that most bond companies charge.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
Subscribe to the Week