rench investigators ruled Thursday that the 2009 Air France flight 447, which crashed into the Atlantic Ocean killing 228 people, was caused by lack of pilot training in surprise situations and faulty equipment. In their final report on the crash, investigators say that airspeed equipment froze and gave pilots false readings. The report blamed the crash on "the crew's failure to diagnose the stall situation and consequently a lack of inputs that would have made it possible to recover from it." Investigators recommended improvements in communication systems, instrumentation, and crew training.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week