rench investigators ruled Thursday that the 2009 Air France flight 447, which crashed into the Atlantic Ocean killing 228 people, was caused by lack of pilot training in surprise situations and faulty equipment. In their final report on the crash, investigators say that airspeed equipment froze and gave pilots false readings. The report blamed the crash on "the crew's failure to diagnose the stall situation and consequently a lack of inputs that would have made it possible to recover from it." Investigators recommended improvements in communication systems, instrumentation, and crew training.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
- When is it okay for progressives to vote against a Democrat?
Subscribe to the Week