rench investigators ruled Thursday that the 2009 Air France flight 447, which crashed into the Atlantic Ocean killing 228 people, was caused by lack of pilot training in surprise situations and faulty equipment. In their final report on the crash, investigators say that airspeed equipment froze and gave pilots false readings. The report blamed the crash on "the crew's failure to diagnose the stall situation and consequently a lack of inputs that would have made it possible to recover from it." Investigators recommended improvements in communication systems, instrumentation, and crew training.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Attack of the invasive species
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- That 'world's toughest job' ad is actually full of horrible lessons on motherhood
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week