he U.S added a meager 80,000 jobs in June, as hiring slowed dramatically in the second quarter, the Labor Department reported Friday. Economists had projected a 100,000-job increase. The unemployment rate, meanwhile, was unchanged at 8.2 percent. "The poor employment report is also a blow to President Obama as he tries to fend off Republican candidate Mitt Romney and win re-election in November."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
Subscribe to the Week