OOD DAY FOR:
Bacon lovers with a death wish
A Southern California burger chain introduces the 'Merica Burger, which is made of 100 percent ground bacon. [Gawker]
A piggy bank payoff
After saving up for 35 years, a couple makes their last mortgage payment with 62,000 pennies, which were delivered in boxes weighing a total of 800 pounds. [Consumerist]
Kicking the habit
Tori the cigarette-smoking orangutan, a popular attraction at an Indonesian zoo, goes cold turkey when she is relocated to an island preserve out of reach from her human enablers. [Geekosystem]
BAD DAY FOR:
Going the renter's route
Rents are rising nationwide — to the highest average in five years, according to new data — which often makes buying a home a better deal than renting one. [The Billfold]
Brad Pitt's mom pens a letter to a local newspaper declaring her support for Mitt Romney and her strong aversion to gay marriage, much to the chagrin of her progressive mega-celebrity son. [Newser]
Overly permissive parenting
An Arizona mother is arrested after she is spotted pouring beer into her 2-year-old's sippy cup. Her excuse? He "kept reaching" for the pitcher. [UPI]
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- Another Bitcoin exchange bites the dust
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week