As Syria's military began holding widescale exercises to simulate defense against outside "aggression," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said from an international conference in Tokyo that the Syrian regime's "days are numbered." Clinton noted that a series of recent defections shows that "the sand is running out of the hourglass." "The sooner there can be an end to the violence and a beginning of a political transition process, not only will fewer people die, but there's a chance to save the Syrian state from a catastrophic assault that would be very dangerous not only to Syria but to the region," she said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 10 ways to gain real superpowers that will change your life
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week