A lawyer for actress Katie Holmes told E! News on Monday that she and soon-to-be ex-husband Tom Cruise have agreed to a divorce settlement that will avoid an ugly, protracted battle that would have likely been documented step-by-step by the media. "The case has been settled and the agreement has been signed," said the attorney. Neither Holmes nor Cruise, nor their attornies or publicists revealed the details of the divorce agreement. Holmes had filed for divorce from Cruise on June 29. Earlier on Monday the pair released a joint statements saying, "We are committed to working together as parents to accomplish what is in our daughter Suri's best interests."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Could better U.S.-Cuban relations thwart baseball's human smuggling problem?
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- How computers will replace your doctor
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
Subscribe to the Week