A lawyer for actress Katie Holmes told E! News on Monday that she and soon-to-be ex-husband Tom Cruise have agreed to a divorce settlement that will avoid an ugly, protracted battle that would have likely been documented step-by-step by the media. "The case has been settled and the agreement has been signed," said the attorney. Neither Holmes nor Cruise, nor their attornies or publicists revealed the details of the divorce agreement. Holmes had filed for divorce from Cruise on June 29. Earlier on Monday the pair released a joint statements saying, "We are committed to working together as parents to accomplish what is in our daughter Suri's best interests."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The constant struggle of running a family farm in 21st century America
Subscribe to the Week