GOOD DAY FOR:
Hundreds of Texas A&M graduates form a human wall to prevent the Westboro Baptist Church from picketing the funeral of their fellow Aggie Lieutenant Colonel Roy Tisdale. [The Daily Dot]
Narrowly avoiding the jaws of fate
A Massachusetts kayaker has a close call with a great white shark off the shores of Cape Cod. [BuzzFeed]
A blogger creates the "tacone," an ingenious marriage of the taco shell and waffle ice-cream cone that allows one to eat a taco without spilling a drop. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
A new survey finds that 30 percent of meat-eating singles say they wouldn't date a vegetarian or vegan, while only 4 percent of non-meat-eaters said they wouldn't consider dating a carnivore. [Newser]
Life imitating Footloose
A New York City couple is arrested for allegedly impeding pedestrian traffic by dancing the Charleston on a subway platform. [Business Insider]
A "pro skinny" website called Skinny Gossip fat-shames Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Kate Upton by calling her "thunder thighs" and "fatty." [Gothamist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day bad day: July 6, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- How science is accelerating our search for alien life
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
Subscribe to the Week