OOD DAY FOR:
Hundreds of Texas A&M graduates form a human wall to prevent the Westboro Baptist Church from picketing the funeral of their fellow Aggie Lieutenant Colonel Roy Tisdale. [The Daily Dot]
Narrowly avoiding the jaws of fate
A Massachusetts kayaker has a close call with a great white shark off the shores of Cape Cod. [BuzzFeed]
A blogger creates the "tacone," an ingenious marriage of the taco shell and waffle ice-cream cone that allows one to eat a taco without spilling a drop. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
A new survey finds that 30 percent of meat-eating singles say they wouldn't date a vegetarian or vegan, while only 4 percent of non-meat-eaters said they wouldn't consider dating a carnivore. [Newser]
Life imitating Footloose
A New York City couple is arrested for allegedly impeding pedestrian traffic by dancing the Charleston on a subway platform. [Business Insider]
A "pro skinny" website called Skinny Gossip fat-shames Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Kate Upton by calling her "thunder thighs" and "fatty." [Gothamist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day bad day: July 6, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
Subscribe to the Week