The Episcopal Church easily approved an official liturgy for blessing same-sex unions, at its triennial General Convnetion. Whether Episcopal priests can use the marriage-like rite to bless gay unions is up to their bishop, but won't be affected by state laws on same-sex marriage or civil unions. The church's House of Deputies approved the liturgy 171 to 50, and the House of Bishops gave its blessing, 111 to 41. The General Convention also approved allowing transgendered people into the priesthood.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Rise of the machines
- How ISIS gets its hostages
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Ban PowerPoint!
- It's time to kill school picture day
Subscribe to the Week