he Episcopal Church easily approved an official liturgy for blessing same-sex unions, at its triennial General Convnetion. Whether Episcopal priests can use the marriage-like rite to bless gay unions is up to their bishop, but won't be affected by state laws on same-sex marriage or civil unions. The church's House of Deputies approved the liturgy 171 to 50, and the House of Bishops gave its blessing, 111 to 41. The General Convention also approved allowing transgendered people into the priesthood.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week