he Episcopal Church easily approved an official liturgy for blessing same-sex unions, at its triennial General Convnetion. Whether Episcopal priests can use the marriage-like rite to bless gay unions is up to their bishop, but won't be affected by state laws on same-sex marriage or civil unions. The church's House of Deputies approved the liturgy 171 to 50, and the House of Bishops gave its blessing, 111 to 41. The General Convention also approved allowing transgendered people into the priesthood.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week