After a City Council vote Tuesday night, San Bernardino became the third California city to opt for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in just a few weeks, following in the not-so-illustrious footsteps of Stockton and Mammoth Lakes. With a population of 210,000, San Bernardino will be the second largest city in the country to go bankrupt.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Pay yourself first: The habit that can help you build wealth
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week