After a City Council vote Tuesday night, San Bernardino became the third California city to opt for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in just a few weeks, following in the not-so-illustrious footsteps of Stockton and Mammoth Lakes. With a population of 210,000, San Bernardino will be the second largest city in the country to go bankrupt.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week