After a City Council vote Tuesday night, San Bernardino became the third California city to opt for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in just a few weeks, following in the not-so-illustrious footsteps of Stockton and Mammoth Lakes. With a population of 210,000, San Bernardino will be the second largest city in the country to go bankrupt.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Girls on Film: 5 essential World War II movies directed by women
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week