After a City Council vote Tuesday night, San Bernardino became the third California city to opt for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in just a few weeks, following in the not-so-illustrious footsteps of Stockton and Mammoth Lakes. With a population of 210,000, San Bernardino will be the second largest city in the country to go bankrupt.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- California's epic drought
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week