After a City Council vote Tuesday night, San Bernardino became the third California city to opt for Chapter 9 bankruptcy protection in just a few weeks, following in the not-so-illustrious footsteps of Stockton and Mammoth Lakes. With a population of 210,000, San Bernardino will be the second largest city in the country to go bankrupt.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
Subscribe to the Week