awaf al-Fares, Syria's ambassador to Iraq, has defected in protest of President Bashar al-Assad's deadly 16-month crackdown on a popular uprising against Assad's regime. The report came from Syrian opposition forces who say Fares would be the first senior Syrian diplomat to defect, and that there are more officials preparing to denounce Assad. "This is just the beginning of a series of defections on the diplomatic level. We are in touch with several ambassadors," said Mohamed Sermini of the main exiled opposition group, the Syrian National Council.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
Subscribe to the Week