What do Dick Cheney, Lady Gaga, President Obama, and Hugh Hefner all have in common? They've all been lucky enough to have a newly discovered species named after them. From colorful fish to rabbits to innocuous wasps, here's a small sample of the animal kingdom's celebrity-dubbed denizens.
This article — originally published on Jul. 12, 2012 — was last updated on Dec. 11, 2012.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week