GOOD DAY FOR:
Baby boomer boozehounds
A new study finds that moderate alcohol consumption can reduce bone loss in middle-aged women. [Huffington Post]
The service industry
A family fulfills a deceased man's dying wish of buying a pizza and giving the server a $500 tip. [Gawker]
A man finds his stolen car on eBay — 42 years after it was swiped from a Philadelphia street. [Geekosystem]
BAD DAY FOR:
Food vendors at the London Olympics bemoan McDonald's sponsorship deal that prevents Golden Arches competitors from selling french fries. [Newser]
A South Carolina funeral home is criticized for opening a Starbucks franchise on its premises. [New York]
A security breach exposes nearly half a million of the beleaguered internet company's users' email addresses and passwords to hackers. [Business Insider]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week