OOD DAY FOR:
Baby boomer boozehounds
A new study finds that moderate alcohol consumption can reduce bone loss in middle-aged women. [Huffington Post]
The service industry
A family fulfills a deceased man's dying wish of buying a pizza and giving the server a $500 tip. [Gawker]
A man finds his stolen car on eBay — 42 years after it was swiped from a Philadelphia street. [Geekosystem]
BAD DAY FOR:
Food vendors at the London Olympics bemoan McDonald's sponsorship deal that prevents Golden Arches competitors from selling french fries. [Newser]
A South Carolina funeral home is criticized for opening a Starbucks franchise on its premises. [New York]
A security breach exposes nearly half a million of the beleaguered internet company's users' email addresses and passwords to hackers. [Business Insider]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: July 11, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week