A tragic accident occurred in Nigeria's oil-rich delta on Thursday, when an oil truck veered into a ditch and exploded after trying to avoid a head-on collision with buses. At least 95 onlookers trying to scoop up the spilled fuel were killed when the vehicle erupted into flames. Witnesses say that the charred corpses of victims, including bodies the size of children, were still untouched in the area for hours following the accident. Critics say the crash "would not have happened" if roads in the impoverished region had two lanes.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to make classic pulled pork
Subscribe to the Week