tragic accident occurred in Nigeria's oil-rich delta on Thursday, when an oil truck veered into a ditch and exploded after trying to avoid a head-on collision with buses. At least 95 onlookers trying to scoop up the spilled fuel were killed when the vehicle erupted into flames. Witnesses say that the charred corpses of victims, including bodies the size of children, were still untouched in the area for hours following the accident. Critics say the crash "would not have happened" if roads in the impoverished region had two lanes.
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Why income inequality has become the Democratic Party's top issue
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- No, Obama doesn't have to fire everybody in the White House
- Why Americans care about Rob Ford's drug abuse but not Nigella Lawson's
- How America's unions can reinvent themselves in the new economy
Subscribe to the Week