Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler announced on Thursday that he would not return to American Idol after serving as a judge on the show for two seasons. "Idol was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it," Tyler said in a statement, adding that he felt that it was time to return to Aerosmith, which is set to release its 15th album on Nov. 6. Tyler's announcement added a new element of doubt to the show as it prepares for its twelfth season, with another judge, singer Jennifer Lopez, hinting that it might be time for her to step down as well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
Subscribe to the Week