Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler announced on Thursday that he would not return to American Idol after serving as a judge on the show for two seasons. "Idol was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it," Tyler said in a statement, adding that he felt that it was time to return to Aerosmith, which is set to release its 15th album on Nov. 6. Tyler's announcement added a new element of doubt to the show as it prepares for its twelfth season, with another judge, singer Jennifer Lopez, hinting that it might be time for her to step down as well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 6 super-helpful iOS8 tricks you probably don't know about
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week