Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler announced on Thursday that he would not return to American Idol after serving as a judge on the show for two seasons. "Idol was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it," Tyler said in a statement, adding that he felt that it was time to return to Aerosmith, which is set to release its 15th album on Nov. 6. Tyler's announcement added a new element of doubt to the show as it prepares for its twelfth season, with another judge, singer Jennifer Lopez, hinting that it might be time for her to step down as well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
Subscribe to the Week