Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler announced on Thursday that he would not return to American Idol after serving as a judge on the show for two seasons. "Idol was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it," Tyler said in a statement, adding that he felt that it was time to return to Aerosmith, which is set to release its 15th album on Nov. 6. Tyler's announcement added a new element of doubt to the show as it prepares for its twelfth season, with another judge, singer Jennifer Lopez, hinting that it might be time for her to step down as well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week