Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler announced on Thursday that he would not return to American Idol after serving as a judge on the show for two seasons. "Idol was over-the-top fun, and I loved every minute of it," Tyler said in a statement, adding that he felt that it was time to return to Aerosmith, which is set to release its 15th album on Nov. 6. Tyler's announcement added a new element of doubt to the show as it prepares for its twelfth season, with another judge, singer Jennifer Lopez, hinting that it might be time for her to step down as well.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Why China thinks it could defeat the U.S. in battle
- 10 things you need to know today: August 20, 2014
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How the West produces jihadi tourists
- What the 'death of the library' means for the future of books
- What you need to know before you support the police in Ferguson
- Girls on Film: 5 things that need to happen before Hollywood will ever truly change
- How Ferguson made conservatives lose faith in the police
Subscribe to the Week