tock markets surged on Friday after JPMorgan Chase reported that it had earned solid profits despite a trading loss during the second quarter of nearly $6 billion. The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 204 points, or 1.6 percent, while the larger S&P 500 index climbed 22 points, or 1.7 percent. The rally broke a six-day losing streak for U.S. markets, which were also lifted by hopes that the Chinese government would enact new stimulus measures to counteract slowing growth.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
Subscribe to the Week