A well-known Afghan lawmaker, Ahmad Khan Samangani, was killed along with 20 other people at his daughter's wedding in the northern province of Samangan following a suicide attack. The bomber posed as a guest and hugged Samangani before detonating his explosives, which also injured 40 people. The Taliban has denied responsibility for the assault. President Hamid Karzai appointed a team to investigate the killings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
Subscribe to the Week