A well-known Afghan lawmaker, Ahmad Khan Samangani, was killed along with 20 other people at his daughter's wedding in the northern province of Samangan following a suicide attack. The bomber posed as a guest and hugged Samangani before detonating his explosives, which also injured 40 people. The Taliban has denied responsibility for the assault. President Hamid Karzai appointed a team to investigate the killings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
- Why the Sony hack changes everything
- You should be furious about Hollywood's gutless retreat on The Interview
- Capitalism isn't a cure-all for Cuba
Subscribe to the Week