A well-known Afghan lawmaker, Ahmad Khan Samangani, was killed along with 20 other people at his daughter's wedding in the northern province of Samangan following a suicide attack. The bomber posed as a guest and hugged Samangani before detonating his explosives, which also injured 40 people. The Taliban has denied responsibility for the assault. President Hamid Karzai appointed a team to investigate the killings.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week