.N. peace envoy Kofi Annan will meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Monday to discuss escalating violence in Syria, which, the Red Cross has declared, is officially in a civil war. While Russia has agreed to stop selling arms to Syria, it has been steadfast against a U.N. Security Council draft resolution that would put more pressure on the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad. Meanwhile, Syrian opposition fighters in Damascus reported the fiercest fighting yet inside the capital.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- 10 things you need to know today: December 12, 2013
- Watch The Daily Show try to cheer the end of congressional gridlock
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- Did Paul Ryan just throw in the towel on 2016?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
Subscribe to the Week