n taped recordings released today by the Florida State Attorney's Office, a woman identified as Witness #9 alleges that George Zimmerman — who has been charged with second-degree murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin — molested her as a child. The unnamed woman, who is reportedly two years younger than Zimmerman and was not a witness to the February shooting, says her family was friends with Zimmerman's family, and that the alleged assaults began when she was 6 years old. Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara had fought to block the release of the interview, arguing that it "is not relevant" and that it would only "serve to reignite and potentially enhance the widespread public hostility toward Mr. Zimmerman."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week