In taped recordings released today by the Florida State Attorney's Office, a woman identified as Witness #9 alleges that George Zimmerman — who has been charged with second-degree murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin — molested her as a child. The unnamed woman, who is reportedly two years younger than Zimmerman and was not a witness to the February shooting, says her family was friends with Zimmerman's family, and that the alleged assaults began when she was 6 years old. Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara had fought to block the release of the interview, arguing that it "is not relevant" and that it would only "serve to reignite and potentially enhance the widespread public hostility toward Mr. Zimmerman."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- This is how the U.S. thinks China could invade Taiwan
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Can we lead spiritually fulfilling lives without religion?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- Surviving a plane crash
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Stop freaking out over the West's jihadi tourists
Subscribe to the Week