In taped recordings released today by the Florida State Attorney's Office, a woman identified as Witness #9 alleges that George Zimmerman — who has been charged with second-degree murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin — molested her as a child. The unnamed woman, who is reportedly two years younger than Zimmerman and was not a witness to the February shooting, says her family was friends with Zimmerman's family, and that the alleged assaults began when she was 6 years old. Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara had fought to block the release of the interview, arguing that it "is not relevant" and that it would only "serve to reignite and potentially enhance the widespread public hostility toward Mr. Zimmerman."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: December 21, 2014
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How Wall Street is chipping away at reform
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How I lost all my money
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
Subscribe to the Week