In taped recordings released today by the Florida State Attorney's Office, a woman identified as Witness #9 alleges that George Zimmerman — who has been charged with second-degree murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin — molested her as a child. The unnamed woman, who is reportedly two years younger than Zimmerman and was not a witness to the February shooting, says her family was friends with Zimmerman's family, and that the alleged assaults began when she was 6 years old. Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara had fought to block the release of the interview, arguing that it "is not relevant" and that it would only "serve to reignite and potentially enhance the widespread public hostility toward Mr. Zimmerman."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 21, 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- The case for voting (even if America is a corrupt plutocracy rigged by the rich)
Subscribe to the Week