In taped recordings released today by the Florida State Attorney's Office, a woman identified as Witness #9 alleges that George Zimmerman — who has been charged with second-degree murder for the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin — molested her as a child. The unnamed woman, who is reportedly two years younger than Zimmerman and was not a witness to the February shooting, says her family was friends with Zimmerman's family, and that the alleged assaults began when she was 6 years old. Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara had fought to block the release of the interview, arguing that it "is not relevant" and that it would only "serve to reignite and potentially enhance the widespread public hostility toward Mr. Zimmerman."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- Adam Sandler's 'Thanksgiving Song': Explaining the 22-year-old tune's pop-culture references
- 17 old proverbs we should use more often
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week