n Monday, struggling search engine Yahoo named Marissa Mayer, a former executive at rival Google, as its new CEO. Mayer will be charged with turning around Yahoo, which for several years has been fighting a losing battle against Google and Facebook for online advertising dollars. Mayer, most recently a vice president at Google, had a hand in some of Google's most popular products — including its eponymous search engine, Gmail, Google News, Google Images, and Google Maps — but analysts say she faces daunting challenges at Yahoo, which has burned through a string of unsuccessful CEOs in recent years.
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- Americans are wealthier than ever*
- Is the rent really too damn high?
- Godzilla: Watch the surprisingly grim trailer for the blockbuster reboot
- The secrets of happy families
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Antarctica recently experienced the coldest day in recorded history
- President Obama snapped a selfie during Nelson Mandela's memorial service
- Why America's new love affair with saving is not great economic news
Subscribe to the Week