n Monday, struggling search engine Yahoo named Marissa Mayer, a former executive at rival Google, as its new CEO. Mayer will be charged with turning around Yahoo, which for several years has been fighting a losing battle against Google and Facebook for online advertising dollars. Mayer, most recently a vice president at Google, had a hand in some of Google's most popular products — including its eponymous search engine, Gmail, Google News, Google Images, and Google Maps — but analysts say she faces daunting challenges at Yahoo, which has burned through a string of unsuccessful CEOs in recent years.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- What The Americans gets wrong about Russian spies
Subscribe to the Week