pposition activists say fierce fighting erupted for a third day in the Syrian capital Tuesday and that a major battle for the key city is on the horizon. "The battle for Damascus is coming," says a former Syrian army colonel who defected to join the rebel fighters. An opposition group reports that 97 people were killed in Syria on Monday. On Tuesday in Moscow, U.N. special envoy Kofi Annan will meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin; Russia is a member of the U.N. Security Council, and, along with China, it has used its power to veto some of the toughest resolutions against President Bashar al-Assad and his regime.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
The history of Santa Claus: 7 interesting facts
- The secrets of happy families
- Have scientists unearthed the first 'gay caveman'?
Subscribe to the Week