pposition activists say fierce fighting erupted for a third day in the Syrian capital Tuesday and that a major battle for the key city is on the horizon. "The battle for Damascus is coming," says a former Syrian army colonel who defected to join the rebel fighters. An opposition group reports that 97 people were killed in Syria on Monday. On Tuesday in Moscow, U.N. special envoy Kofi Annan will meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin; Russia is a member of the U.N. Security Council, and, along with China, it has used its power to veto some of the toughest resolutions against President Bashar al-Assad and his regime.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
Subscribe to the Week