Opposition activists say fierce fighting erupted for a third day in the Syrian capital Tuesday and that a major battle for the key city is on the horizon. "The battle for Damascus is coming," says a former Syrian army colonel who defected to join the rebel fighters. An opposition group reports that 97 people were killed in Syria on Monday. On Tuesday in Moscow, U.N. special envoy Kofi Annan will meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin; Russia is a member of the U.N. Security Council, and, along with China, it has used its power to veto some of the toughest resolutions against President Bashar al-Assad and his regime.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How to live a long life, according to science
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week