yria's defense minister, Daoud Rajha, was killed along with President Bashar al-Assad's brother in-law, Assef Shawkat, in an apparent suicide bomb attack on Wednesday. The blast occurred during a high-level security meeting in the Syrian capital, Damascus, which has been the target of a rebel offensive for several days. Reuters said it was unclear whether Assad himself was present during what the government has called a "terrorist bombing," but his intelligence chief and interior minister were wounded. A Syrian security official told Reuters the bomber was a bodyguard assigned to Assad's inner circle.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 10, 2014
- Sandy Hook shooter Adam Lanza's dad: 'I wish he'd never been born'
Subscribe to the Week