yria's defense minister, Daoud Rajha, was killed along with President Bashar al-Assad's brother in-law, Assef Shawkat, in an apparent suicide bomb attack on Wednesday. The blast occurred during a high-level security meeting in the Syrian capital, Damascus, which has been the target of a rebel offensive for several days. Reuters said it was unclear whether Assad himself was present during what the government has called a "terrorist bombing," but his intelligence chief and interior minister were wounded. A Syrian security official told Reuters the bomber was a bodyguard assigned to Assad's inner circle.
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- How did Love Actually become so controversial? A theory
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The last racial taboo
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Watch The Daily Show mock the NSA and the gamers they're spying on
- The 10 worst-reviewed movies of 2013
Subscribe to the Week