yria's defense minister, Daoud Rajha, was killed along with President Bashar al-Assad's brother in-law, Assef Shawkat, in an apparent suicide bomb attack on Wednesday. The blast occurred during a high-level security meeting in the Syrian capital, Damascus, which has been the target of a rebel offensive for several days. Reuters said it was unclear whether Assad himself was present during what the government has called a "terrorist bombing," but his intelligence chief and interior minister were wounded. A Syrian security official told Reuters the bomber was a bodyguard assigned to Assad's inner circle.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- When will the Big One strike California?
Subscribe to the Week